In 1660, the first Baroque expansion of the city incorporated the "Werder", an island lying between two arms of the river Spree. It was named Friedrichs-Werder in honor of the Great Elector. Few of the original structures have survived.
Berlin's first Neo-Gothic church was erected at the former Werderscher Market from 1824 - 1830 on the site of its predecessor. The conception of its architect, K. F. Schinkel, "architecture is construction", is realized fully in this structure. Its exterior is characterized by a simple, clearly ordered exterior masonry pillar structure with a double tower facade; within, Schinkel created a grandiose impression of space by means of slender, bundled pillars and elegant profiles merging into a network of vaults.
Since its restoration (1982-87), the Friedrichswerdersche Kirche has housed the Schinkel Museum. Works from the Berlin school of sculpture (Schadow, Rauch, Genelli) are also displayed in the faithfully restored interior. -- Info from the Senate Department of Urban Development website: http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/denkmal/denkmale_in_berlin/en/kirc...
This image was taken in 2001 by John P. Schooley, FAIA, during the 'Berlin: Building the New City' tour. This tour was planned for architects and planners so that they could see first-hand how this once-divided city emerged from the Cold War to become a leading commercial and cultural center in Europe.
Submitted by John Schooley, FAIA.