Xi Hu, the West Lake, surrounded on three sides by a ring of hills is, among all the 'hills and waters' of China, the most loved and copied. Over a recorded history of some 2,000 years the original lake has been so transformed that it is in fact virtually manmade, and part of its extraordinary appeal is the vision it suggests of man and nature in perfect harmony. The two main willow-planted causeways which divide it are named after two great poet-administrators of the city, Bai Juyi and Su Dongpo, who dredged and reinforced the lake to control floods. Later Hangzhou became the capital of the Southern Song and many fine villas were built along its shores. In the lake is the clover-leaf shaped island called 'Three Pools Mirroring the Moon', which is one of the most beautiful places in China.
-- Keswick, Maggie. Revised by Alison Hardie. (2003) The Chinese Garden: History, Art, and Architecture. Cambdrige, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press. p. 227
This image was taken by John P. Schooley, FAIA, during the 1982 People-to-People Architecture Delegation to the People's Republic_access of China. The People-to-People Citizen Ambassador Program sponsored the delegation lead by Professor David Glasser of the Department of Architecture, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. This delegation allowed architects and planners from the United States to visit landmarks as well as communities at various scales, and to meet professionals involved in their planning and continued development.
People's Republic_access of China (1949 CE - Present)
Keswick, Maggie. Revised by Alison Hardie. (2003) The Chinese Garden: History, Art, and Architecture. Cambdrige, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press. p. 227