The first Minster was built for the baptism of the Anglo Saxon King, Edwin of Northumbria in 627. This small stone church built on the same site as the original wooden one was enlarged over time. Around the year 1080 the Norman Archbishop Thomas of Bayeux destroyed the church and started building a cathedral to replace it. This church was completed around the 1100. In 1215 Walter Gray became archbishop and started to transform the Norman Church into the Minster that stands today. In 1984, Ove Arup was charged with the structural reinforcement of the cathedral to prevent further structural deformation. This Gothic cathedral has Roman, Saxon, and Norman origins.