The Yuyuan is in the centre of the old Chinese city and within walking distance of The Bund. Although it has been much altered over the years, it is a good example of a classical Chinese garden. It was originally built between 1559 and 1577 by Pan Yunduan to please his father, a high rank official in Ming Dynasty.
Shaded by camphor laurels and other trees, and combining pavilions, ponds, rockeries, walls and winding walkways, it creates an illusion of space and diversity within a relatively small area (less than 5 acres).
--Valder, P. (2002). Gardens in China. Portland, Oregon: Timber Press. p. 247-248.