Trafalgar Square is a square in central London. The area once held the "Great Mews", a stabling complex that served Whitehall Palace. The Mews was no longer used by the early 18th century and the area was cleared. In the 1820s the Prince Regent engaged the landscape architect John Nash to redevelop the area. Nash cleared the square as part of his Charing Cross Improvement Scheme. The present architecture of the square is due to Sir Charles Barry and was completed in 1845. At its centre is Nelson's Column (1840-1843), which is guarded by four lion statues at its base. Statues and sculptures are on display in the square, including a fourth plinth displaying changing pieces of contemporary art. The name commemorates the Battle of Trafalgar (1805), a British naval victory of the Napoleonic Wars. Fountains designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1939. The four huge bronze lions were sculpted by Sir Edwin Landseer.