North and Central America->United States->New Mexico->Ranchos De Taos
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970 (and National Register). It is also designated as a World Heritage church. Construction on the church began around 1772 and was completed (probably partially rebuilt) in 1816 by Franciscan Fathers as a mission church. It is located a few miles south of Taos Pueblo and has inspired numerous depictions by Georgia O'Keeffe, Ansel Adams and Paul Strand because of its massive adobe walls and sculptural form. Citizens of Ranchos de Taos, parish members, and visitors gather for two weeks each June to re-mud (enjarrar) the exterior of the adobe church with a mixture of mud and straw.
Nineteenth century (LCSH) Eighteenth century (LCSH) Spanish Colonial (AAT)