North and Central America->United States->Pennsylvania->Pittsburgh
Construction on the Courthouse and jail complex began in 1884. Work on the jail was completed in 1886. The courthouse was completed in 1888. The architecture is characterized by the classic symmetry of the Renaissance, with Romanesque details, including Syrian arches, Byzantine Capitals, late French Gothic dormer windows and French Renaissance roofs. The Courthouse tower rises more than 300 feet.
The jail, which was officially closed in 1995, has been converted into a combined home of the juvenile and family sections of the Common Pleas Court.
Keywords: United States, Pennsylvania, Alleghany County, Pittsburgh, public buildings. Submitted by Kara Gustafson.
19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE) Richardsonian Romanesque