original building: 1917; Extension and restoration: 1973-1977
The original Allen Memorial Art Museum complex of buildings was designed by Cass Gilbert in 1917 and represents an eclectic dialogue between Tuscan Renaissance and Midwestern vernacular architectural styles. In the 1970s, Venturi and Rauch restored and extended the museum.
The addition's front portion houses the gallery space and has an exterior checkerboard pattern in buff and red sandstone. The less visible rear portion which houses classrooms and offices has a buff brick exterior. The black-banded, black-mullioned windows visually tie the two sections together.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Lorain County, Oberlin, exhibition buildings, exhibition and exhibition structures, views. Submitted by Kara Gustafson.
1910s (1910 - 1919) 1970s (1970 - 1979)
grasses coniferous shrubs ground cover herbaceous plants deciduous trees