This structure utilizes brick bearing masonry with iron trusses for the glazed roof. At the time of its opening in 1903, the Beurs van Berlage (as it is now known) was referred to as the Koopmansbeurs (Merchant Stock Exchange). The building was originally designed to accommodate all forms of stock trading, including commodities, stock, corn, currencies and ship's cargoes. The building was too small to accommodate all of these activities, and in 1912 the trade in stocks moved to the new building at Beursplein 5 (the current Stock Exchange building).
The last traders left in 1998. Since 1987, the building has been the venue for exhibitions, concerts, congresses and other events.
Submitted by Kay Bea Jones for ARCH 698.
19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE) 1900s (1900 - 1909) Amsterdam School