John P. Schooley Jr.
(was created by)
800 CE-1250 CE
"On the west side of the plaza of El Castillo is the Ball Court. It consists of two long high walls that run in parallel directions. In the center of each of these walls is embedded a large stone and at ground level sculptures in low relief. On both ends rises a temple and on the east is the Temple of Jaguars. Wide stairways from outside make the platform accessible."
This court was used for playing ball as a game. The game was not only a sport, but more of a religious activity. The story of the game is carved on the lower side of the relief sculptures in the Ball Court. Players tried to hurl the ball through this ring. The ring has reliefs of feathered serpents swimming through the sea.
-- Ruz lhuillier, A. (1969). Chichen Itza. Mexico: Instituto Nacional de Antropologia, p.14,15,17
-- Schele L., Mathews P. The code of Kings, The language of Seven Sacred Maya Temples and Tombs. New YORK: Scribner, p. 246
Keywords: Toltec-Maya Monument, ceremonial and/or religious structures, Mayan people, ChichÃ©n ItzÃ¡.
Materialstone and/or rock