Originally built in the late 13th C.; Remodeled in the 16th C.
Balvenie Castle was built in the late 13th century for the Comyn earls of Buchan. The curtain wall that surrounds this courtyard castle was built by the Comyns, but the eastern side of the castle was completely remodeled in the 16th century by John Stewart, 4th earl of Atholl. He added a grand accommodation range that included a round tower on the east corner. The castle frequently changed hands but remained occupied until the suicide of its owner, William Duff, in 1718. The castle's roof was destroyed by 1724 and rapidly fell into ruin.
Medieval (c. 300 CE - 1399 CE) 16th Century (1500 - 1599 CE)