1064;1595 (fire destroyed most of the work(s));1926 (restorations completed);1152 (circular Baptistery added)
The Pisa cathedral complex includes the Pisa Cathedral, the Campanile (Leaning Tower), Baptistery, and the Campo Santo. The complex is well known for its remarkable exterior marble ornamentation.
The circular Baptistery was designed by Diotisalvi in 1152. The ground floor has tall blind arcades, the first floor has an arcaded gallery, and the second floor has cusped windows. The statuettes of saints and prophets were added in the mid-thirteenth century, and the dome dates from the fourteenth century. The Baptistery represents a transition from Romanesque to Gothic style.
Keywords: Italian Romanesque, Pisan style, blind arcades, pilasters, polychrome veneering.