Founded in Weimar in 1919, the Bauhaus rallied masters and students who sought to reverse the split between art and production by returning to the crafts as the foundation of all artistic activity and developing exemplary designs for objects and spaces that were to form part of a more humane future society. In 1924 funding for the Bauhaus was cut so drastically at the instigation of conservative forces that it had to seek a new home. The Bauhaus moved to Dessau at a time of rising economic fortunes, becoming the municipally funded College of Design. The Bauhaus was forced to move to Berlin in September 1932. The Bauhaus dissolved itself under pressure from the Nazis in 1933.
"The workshop wing of the building ... which was described by a visitor, Nelly Schwalacher, as 'A giant light cube ... radiating dazzling white light from every wall ... the high glass walls openly revealing the light steel structure ... delineated in all its transparency by the iron grid of its exterior structure'." Hasan-Uddin Khan, International style: Modernist architecture from 1925 to 1965, Koln, Taschen, 2001, p. 22.