Located on the western perimeter of the Imperial City, Beihai Park is made up of the North Sea Lake and the area surrounding it. Most of the buildings of Beihai are located either on the island of Resplendent Jade or on the northern and eastern shorelines. The Lake itself takes up over half of the 68 hectares (170 acres) of the park. The lakes and islands of the park were created in the Liao Dynasty but it wasn't until the Qing Dynasty that the buildings that are standing today were built.
The Heavenly King Temple was first built in the Ming Dynasty, it was the location where Buddhist scriptures were translated and printed. It was expanded in 1759 and became a complete set of temples. The main halls in the Daxitian are Bell Tower, Drum Tower, Heavenly King Hall, Dacizhenru Hall, and Glazed-Tile Tower.
This image was taken by John P. Schooley, FAIA, during the 1982 People-to-People Architecture Delegation to the People's Republic_access of China. The People-to-People Citizen Ambassador Program sponsored the delegation lead by Professor David Glasser of the Department of Architecture, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. This delegation allowed architects and planners from the United States to visit landmarks as well as communities at various scales, and to meet professionals involved in their planning and continued development.
Submitted by John Schooley, FAIA.
Liao Dynasty ( 916 CE - 1125 CE) Yuan Dynasty (1260 CE - 1368 CE) Ming Dynasty (1368 CE - 1644 CE) Qing Dynasty (1644 CE - 1912 CE)