The Belvedere was built in the 18th century as a summer residence for Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736) with upper and lower palaces connected by extensive gardens.
In 1714 the Austrian general Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736) commissioned the architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt (1668-1745) to build the Lower Belvedere. The palace was completed just two years later in 1716. Today, the former living quarters and staterooms of this Baroque summer residence are still an impressive sight. Attractions include the Marble Hall, adorned with frescos by Martino Altomonte (1659-1745), the state bedroom, Hall of Grotesques and the Marble Gallery. The Lower Belvedere also incorporates the orangery and palace stables, formerly used for the prince's horses. In 1717, the decision was made to build the Upper Belvedere. Construction took place between 1721 and 1722 and the interior decoration was completed the following year.