1956-1963 (Philharmonic); 1987 (Chamber Music Hall)
The Philharmonic building, designed by Scharoun, is shown here on the right. The Chamber Music Hall, by Wisniewski, is on the left. The design of both halls is based upon the concept of "music as the center of attention", with the concert podium in the center of the hall, and the audience seated in terraced blocks surrounding the stage on all sides.
Keywords: Germany, Berlin, Berliner Philharmonie, performing arts structures. Submitted by Dan Carney for ARCH 602: History of Modern Architecture.