Warning: array_reduce() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /var/www/html/app/lib/ca/Attributes/Values/LengthAttributeValue.php on line 189 Knowlton School Digital LibraryWorkBoiler House (original), Power Plant No. 1 
The Boiler House is Herrick Archives Number H 101. It was located at 17th Avenue just to the east of where Dulles Hall currently stands on the Ohio State University campus. This view is looking north and was probably taken from University Hall. In the lower right is the original Boiler House/Power Plant. The original stack is just north of this building. This photograph was taken in 1885, before the subsequent west addition was constructed. It was constructed in 1874 and used for the manufacture of gas from coal. The Power Plant provided power to university buildings until 1896 when Power Plant No. 2 was completed.
The 6,000 cubic-foot metal Gas Tank (Herrick Archives building number H 102) can be seen north of the Gas House.
North of the Gas Tank, is the Veterinary Dissecting Building (Herrick Archives building number H 115). The building was used for dissecting until 1893 when it became a shop for the university carpenter.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, The Ohio State University, OSU, Herrick Archives building number H 100, institutional buildings, school buildings, industrial buildings, utilities, First Power Plant, Power Plant No. 1. University Archives Image # X2227.