"The Brazil Pavilion was a joint commission of the Brazilian architect Lucio Costa, who provided the initial proposal, and Le Corbusier, who oversaw design development and construction.
Costa maintained his authorship and the pavilion as built subscribes closely to his proposal, although shifted in its orientation from west to east. Costa's design intentions focused particularly on the lobby sequence which he was able to execute on a site visit to Paris in 1956.
The Utopian universals of Le Corbusier's Radiant City prevailed at the Brazil Pavilion, in that it is the direct descendant of the Swiss Pavilion. In both, a dormitory slab on pilotis straddles the freely expressed volumes of communal rooms. The pilotis simultaneously grant the slab a monumental identity and relieve the ground from that presence, allowing for continuous view and passage through the campus greenery."
--Gans, D. (2006). The Le Corbusier Guide (3rd Ed). New York: Princeton Architectural. p53-54