Brodie Castle is a fortified house built in the 16th Century. The original house dating from 1567 was built by the 12th Earl of Brodie. The original structure was a tower house built on a 'Z' plan with two towers set at opposite corners of a rectangular, central keep. This gave defenders a field of fire along all four walls. A western extension was added in the early 17th Century but apart from this, little was done until the 19th century when William Burn built the eastern wing of the house. The castle and grounds are now held in trust for the nation by The National Trust for Scotland.