1907 (Japanese Garden installation added);1909 (Sunken Garden added);1926 (Italian Garden added);1929 (Rose Garden added);1953 (night illumination added);1964 (Ross Fountain installed);1994 (Canadian Heraldic Authority granted coat of arms);2004 (totem poles installed for 100th anniversary);2009 (Children's Pavilion and Rose Carousel opened)
North and Central America->Canada->British Columbia->Vancouver Island-> Brentwood Bay->Butchart Gardens
Robert Pim Butchart, a Portland cement manufacturer, and his wife Jennie, established their home near their factory and quarry on Vancouver Island in 1904. After having exhausted the limestone quarry, Jennie began transforming it into what is now the Sunken Garden. Over time, additional gardens were added to the 55-acre property.