The Pisa cathedral complex includes the Pisa Cathedral, the Campanile (Leaning Tower), Baptistery, and the Campo Santo. The complex is well known for its remarkable exterior marble ornamentation.
The Campanile, begun in 1174, was designed by Bonanno. It is often called the "leaning tower" due to subsidence in the foundations. It is a 16-meter-wide cylindrical tower with seven stories plus the bell story, which was added in the mid-fourteenth century.
Keywords: Italian Romanesque, Pisan style, blind arcades, pilasters, polychrome veneering.