The Pisa cathedral complex includes the Pisa Cathedral, the Campanile (Leaning Tower), Baptistery, and the Campo Santo. The complex is well known for its remarkable exterior marble ornamentation.
The Campo Santo dates from 1278-1283. The cemetery is enclosed by a rectangular loggia of marble with Gothic tracery. Frescoes depicting the triumph of death by the painter Francesco Traini (active 1321-1363) were added later.
Keywords: Italian Romanesque, Pisan style.