Canfield Hall is Herrick Archives Number 098. It is located at 236 West 11th Avenue.
The building was officially named in honor of Dr. and Mrs. James H. Canfield and Dorothy Canfield Fisher. Canfield Hall has been used since it opened as a women's dormotory, and alternate names are the "South Dorms" or the "Women's Dorms". It was reported that in 1954 women students were occupying this addition even though the beds had not arrived. They were sleeping on matresses.
Canfield Hall has a reinforced concrete frame with brick exterior. The General Contractor was E. Elford & Son. An earlier contract was left for the excavation and service tunnel, plans for which were approved September, 1938. Bids were received and, the day after, awarded in October, 1938. Building excavation went to C. Barthelmes, Tunnel went to E. Elford & Son.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, The Ohio State University, institutional buildings, school buildings, site plans, Canifeld.