The castle, an imposing civic building from the medieval Veronese period, was built between 1354 and 1356 by order of Cangrande II della Scala. The design was conceived by the della Scala family as a defense against both outside invasions and popular rebellion. The castle was used primarily for military purposes in the following centuries and in 1925, it was converted into a museum.
"Beginning in 1958, under the direction of Licisco Maganato, a new organization of the entire building was planned, to restore the value of the notable historical and artistic patrimonies. This critical and historical revision favored authenticity, and thus eliminated the false contexts created in the previous renovation. The task of restoration and museum installation was entrusted to the architect Carlo Scarpa, whose highly original solution is universally recognized as one of the finest examples of museum renovation of post-war Italy."