Castle Howard was the work of Charles Howard, the third earl of Carlisle. Howard, with architect Vanbrough, "took the then radical step of conceiving of architecture in relationship to the scenery, allowing the site to dictate the location of the new house parallel to, rather than on axis with, the approach road" (Rogers, 2001, p. 244). The great Anglo-Palladian castle was constructed in the first half of the 18th Century. A village was destroyed to make way for the landscape that was to accompany the castle.
The Castle is of the Baroque style with two projecting wings on either side of the North-South axis. Uncharacteristic of the time is the approach road which, instead of being aligned with the main access of the castle, is shifted to the west where it connects with an east-west access road and terminates at the rear of the castle. Various scenic compositions comprise the grounds surrounding the castle. Large fields, woods, a lake, and several architectural structures are arranged on the grounds.
Keywords: United Kingdom, England, North Yorkshire, Castle Howard, landscape plans, site plans. Submitted by Raffaella Fabiani-Giannetto for LARCH 201.
18th Century (1700 - 1799 CE)
Rogers, E. B. (2001). Landscape design: a cultural and architectural history. New York : Harry N. Abrams. p. 244.