Miletus, located near the mouth of the Menderes, was destroyed by the Persians in 494 BCE, after they had defeated the navy of the Ionian Greeks at Lade. Miletus was rebuilt on a promontory, north of the old town. The gridiron plan of the new town, designed by the Milesian Hippodamus, became a standard for urban planning.
North of the baths is the Byzantine Church of St. Michael, built in the 6th century CE on the site of a temple of Dionysus.
Greek Byzantine (476 Fall of Western Roman Empire - 1453 CE)