1976-1978;1978, dedicated as the Cultural Arts Center;1861
The Ohio State Arsenal was completed in 1861 for the storage of arms. It served this purpose until the mid-1970s. In 1975 Governor James Rhodes instructed the National Guard to lease the facility to the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department. They worked out a 99-year lease at $1.00 per year. In 1976, Schooley-Cornelius Associates were chosen as the renovation design architects. There were two phases of renovation, resulting in the Ohio State Arsenal being dedicated as the Columbus Cultural Arts Center on June 11, 1978.
This building is located at 139 West Main Street in downtown Columbus, Ohio.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, military buildings, social and civic buildings, art center, masonry unit construction, brick. Submitted by Nina Thomson.