The oldest parts of Dunrobin Castle date back to the late 13th century. The 13th century keep is no longer visible from the outside of the castle but it can be seen from the corridor windows. The keep, with walls six feet thick and a vaulted ceiling, stood isolated for some 200 years until a new staircase and a long high house were added. It was encased by a series of additions from the 16th century onwards.
In 1845, Dunrobin was extensively remodeled by the architect Sir Charles Barry. This renovation encased the early castle and gave the castle most of its current appearance with the conical spires. Barry also laid out the gardens in the 1850s. After a fire in 1915, the Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer conducted repairs and altered the top of the main tower and clock tower at the north side of the building to the Scottish Renaissance style.
Medieval (c. 300 CE - 1399 CE) 19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE)