El Morro is a six-level fort, officially known as Fuerte San Felipe del Morro. It sits atop a high promontory overlooking the entrance to San Juan Bay and is one of the largest forts built by the Spaniards. The fort is a maze of tunnels, dungeons, barracks, outposts and ramps. It is studded with small, circular sentry boxes called "garitas" that have become a national symbol. Its outer walls are 18-foot-thick and rise 140 feet above sea level.
In 1992 the fort was restored to it historic form. The fort is currently administered by the United States National Park Service.
16th Century (1500 - 1599 CE) 18th Century (1700 - 1799 CE)