Entrance to campus with Faculty Residences No. 1, 2, and 3, The Ohio State University
1882;demolished between 1909-1949
This photograph shows the three faculty residences built by the University in 1882 south of 15th Avenue between High Street and the Oval. They were generally known by the names of their occupants. They were all constructed in 1882 and demolished between 1911 and 1949.
Faculty Residence #1 (right). The first occupant was Professor McFarland. Later occupants were Professor Kellicott, the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity, and Professor Kauffman, in that order. Alternate names, therefore are McFarland House, Kauffman House, Kellicott House, and Beta Theta Pi House. It was a wood frame structure with brick exterior. It is Herrick Archives number H 110 and was demolished in 1911.
Faculty Residence #2 (middle). This house was occupied by Professors Short, Tuttle, and Knight, in that order. Professor McPherson occupied the house from 1901-2 through 1907-8. It was a wood frame structure with brick exterior. It is Herrick Archives number H 111. It was demolished in 1911.
Faculty Residence #3 (left). This wood frame house was occupied by Professors T.C. Mendenhall, A.C. Barrows, and B.F. Thomas. This building was relocated in 1902 to what would be the north edge of today's Mershon Auditorium. After relocation, the house was known as the Athletic House and later, the Music Annex. It was demolished in 1949. It is Herrick Archives number H 112.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, The Ohio State University, OSU, institutional buildings, school buildings. University Archives Image #X7620.