The FAA Control Tower is Herrick Archives Building Number S 11. It is located at 2160 Case Road on the Ohio State University campus. It is not a University building. It is owned by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and is referred to as the "Control Tower" or the "FAA Control Tower". The Control Tower was put into use in 1971.
In 1978, an office building was constructed at the base of the tower. This one story addition has a reinforced concrete frame and concrete block exterior wall. It is referred to as the "Tower Base Building" or the "Office Addition to the FAA Control Tower". The base building was designed and constructed by Fry, Inc. for the University under a "design-build" contract. It was then released to the FAA in 1979. Construction for the base building began in July, 1978 and was sufficiently completed for University acceptance in November, 1978.
Campus Planning records for the original tower and the base building show a gross area of 2566 sq. ft. and a net assignable area of 1757 sq. ft..
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, The Ohio State University, institutional buildings, school buildings, site plans, aviation towers, complexes, airport, Don Scott Field, transportation buildings.