Farm House No. 1 (Crowner House), The Ohio State University
constructed prior to 1870;1961
Farm House No. 1 was located at 1795 Neil Avenue, at the rear of Campbell Hall. This building stood on the land when it was purchased by the University. In the early days of campus, all of the land west of Neil Avenue was farm land and the early barns were west of this farm house (Farm House No. 1). With the construction of new barns further north on Neil Avenue in 1907, the center of farming activities shifted away from Farm House No. 1.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, The Ohio State University, OSU, institutional buildings, residential structures, housing, wood light frame construction, rubble stone foundation. Herrick Archives number H 003. University Archives Image # X2768.
19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE) Vernacular
light frame construction wood (hardwood or softwood)