Architect Florence Kenyon Hayden Rector attended The Ohio State University's architecture program in 1901-02. She is acknowledged as the first woman to study architecture at OSU. Rector left the university in 1903 and subsequently assisted her uncle, L. Howard Hayden, in designing the seating plan for New York's new Madison Square Garden. Her first major commission, designed in association with Wilbur Mills and assisted by Thomas French, was for Oxley Hall on OSU's campus. Oxley Hall was the first women's dormitory on the OSU campus. She continued her architectural practice in Columbus through the 1930s. Rector was also an outspoken suffragist and social reformer, serving as the financial chair of the Women's National Party in 1921.
She designed this home for her family, with a facade in stucco with irregular windows and a recessed round-arched entry. Brown gumwood is used in the interiors with oak flooring. Every room has a small fire place decorated with terra cotta braid and tiles. The third floor is primarily one large attic room which served as Rector's studio.
Keywords: United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, residential structures/housing, views, OSU.