Architect Specchi began the Scala in 1721. De Sanctis took over the project in 1723, completing it in 1725. The Scala ascends to the Piazza di Spagna and the Church of Trinita dei Monti. The name comes from the nearby palace which originally housed the Spanish Embassy.
Fontana Della Barcaccia (Fountain of the Old Boat) is located at the bottom of the Piazza di Spagna.
Keywords: Italy, Roma, outdoor spaces, site and landscape elements, Italian, views, Renaissance, Baroque, people.