1939 (land donated for use in public recreation);1942 (opened as public park)
North and Central America->United States->Ohio->Cleveland
Forest Hill was once the estate of John D. Rockefeller. A Cleveland native, Rockefeller purchased the land along Euclid Avenue as a commercial venture in 1873, opening a resort centered around a Victorian mansion overlooking Cleveland and Lake Erie. After the resort went out of business, the mansion became the Rockefeller family's summer home.
In 1939, John Rockefeller Jr. donated 235 acres of the Forest Hill estate to the cities of Cleveland Heights and East Cleveland with the stipulation that they be used for public recreation. This land was developed into a public park by landscape architect and Cleveland Heights native A.D. Taylor and opened in 1942. -- Reference