This installation, titled "Franco Albini, Museums and Installations", was on view in Knowlton Hall's Banvard Gallery from February 20, 2006 to March 4, 2006.
The exhibition features selected work from 1930 to 1977 by Franco Albini and his collaborators and surveys their "neo-rationalist" alternative to high modernism. Although Albini first came to international attention for his furniture design, by the 1950's he had produced some of Italy's most influential works of architecture. The sensitivity to context, materiality and history of these buildings transformed the very idea of modernism and helped set the stage for a more complex reckoning with modernity throughout Europe.
Top image: Montecatini Pavilion: Milan Trade Fair, 1940
Bottom image: Hall of Lead and Zinc for Montecatini: Milan Trade Fair, 1941