German Village, Columbus, Ohio


Description
German Village is one of the premier historic restorations in the world and the largest privately-funded historic district on the National Register of Historic Places. The German Village Society coordinates planning, policy, civic relations, historic preservation, and community activities. This image shows a May Day prize winner for 'Best Lamp Post'. The May Day celebration is a German tradition of celebrating spring: a symbolic return to life, the defeat of the hard winter, and new hopes for good planting and rich harvests. German Village consists of closely-spaced buildings with small or nonexistent front yards; extensive use of brick for buildings, streets, and sidewalks; wrought iron fences; neighborhood commercial buildings interspersed among the residential buildings; and attractive landscaped areas. These characteristics remind people of the history of the community and help retain much of its original character. Most common housing styles are story-and-a-half brick and frame cottages, Italianate vernacular houses, high and vernacular style Queen Anne houses, and Dutch Doubles. The Italianate vernacular homes (as in picture) were very popular between 1860 amd 1890, these houses have two or two-and-one-half stories and feature an irregular or L-shaped plan; two-over-two double-hung windows; carved or shaped lintels; and shallow pitched, hipped rooflines; bracketed cornices; and decorative front porches. (info from German Village Society brochure)
Style/Period
19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE)
Material
brick
brickwork