Ginkaku-ji (Temple of the Silver Pavilion) is the more common name for Jisho-ji. It is a temple belonging to the Shokoku School of the Rinzai Zen sect of Buddhism.
Ashikaga Yoshimasa began construction on Ginkaku in 1460 but the Onin Wars prolonged the completion of his retirement villa. Ginkaku became Yoshimasa's escape from the ravages of the civil war. Construction was eventually resumed in 1480. The construction of buildings and the garden continued until his death. By 1490 a total of 12 buildings and an expansive garden had been completed. Following in his grandfather's footsteps (Ashikaga Yoshimitsu), Yoshimasa had his villa turned into a Zen Buddhist temple after his death. He also had the temple named Joshi-ji, after his Buddhist name. After his death, the temple began to fall apart and by 1615 it was in a dilapidated state. That was when major restoration work was undertaken by the Shokoku School.
Sengoku Period (1482 - 1558 CE) Edo or tokugawa Period (1600 (1615) - 1868 CE)