The Green Spring Garden was founded in 1777 as a working farm. It was donated to Fairfax County for the purpose of becoming a park in 1970. Development of the grounds grew with each owner. Beatrix Farrand designed specific areas around the original house and individual gardens.
This image shows the main axis of the Farrand-designed herb garden. A sundial is at the center of the small garden. Herbs inside the garden are contained, while the exterior beds are flush with and open to the adjacent lawn.
Keywords: United States, Virginia, Fairfax County, outdoor spaces, gardens, herbs, views. Submitted by Lin Goepfert.