Original structure: 1514-1540; New structure: 1689-1700
In 1514 the Archbishop of York, Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, acquired Hampton Court as his country residence. Within a year, he began construction on a palace for Henry VIII. Once Hampton Court became property of the king, it was necessary to extend the building to accommodate the Tudor court, numbering around 1000. It remained a royal residence until the 1760 death of King George II and underwent many structural changes during this time.
In 1689, Christopher Wren was instructed by William III and Mary to begin work on the conversion of the Tudor Palace. Wren's severe Baroque design incorporated the use of red brick and white stone accents with exquisite masonry throughout. Brick was used, but richly embellished with Portland stone for the arcades, windows, friezes and parapets. The new structure was located to the south east of the original palace and was completed in 1700.
16th Century (1500 - 1599 CE) 17th Century (1600 - 1699 CE)