Highclere Park's history can be traced back to 1218 when the Bishop of Winchester planted 61 fruit trees on the land. By the late seventeenth century, the Herbert family, the ancestors to the future Earls of Carnarvon, owned the Highclere estate. In 1706 Robert Herbert inherited Highclere and designed the first landscaped park, including vistas and Rococo follies such as Jackdaw's Castle.
In 1770 Robert Herbert's nephew, the 1st Earl of Carnarvon, hired Lancelot "Capability" Brown to design landscape plans for Highclere. Brown's plans included a general plan for the alteration of the grounds and several plans for altering the house and offices. Brown did not execute his plans for Highclere, but some of Brown's plans were implemented, most likely by Highclere's estate workers. It is not known whether Brown's plans for house alterations were incorporated.
In 1838 the 3rd Earl commissioned Sir Charles Barry, who had designed the new Houses of Parliament, to remodel the house at Highclere. Barry named the exterior style 'Anglo-Italianate'. The bulk of Highclere Castle's exterior was completed by 1843. The 4th Earl completed the remodeling of Highclere Castle after the 3rd Earl's and Barry's deaths. Thomas Allom, who had worked with Barry, completed the interior and the west wing using both Barry's original designs and some of his own ideas.
Both the park land and the castle are currently owned by Lord (the 8th Earl) and Lady Carnarvon. The grounds and the castle are open to the public.
Keywords: United Kingdom, England, Hampshire, Highclere, West Berkshire, Newbury, Highclere Park, Highclere Castle, landscapes, outdoor spaces, private gardens, grounds, parks, site and landscaped elements. Submitted by Douglas Graf.
18th Century (1700 - 1799 CE) 19th Century (1800 - 1899 CE)