The Independence National Historic Park complex includes Independence Hall, National Constitution Center, Independence Visitor Center, Liberty Bell Center, Congress Hall, Old City Hall, and Independence Square.
Independence Hall is located on Chestnut Street between 5th and 6th Streets and was first used as the State House of the colony of Pennsylvania. The building was designed by Andrew Hamilton with master carpenter Edmund Woolley. Architects Robert Mills and William Strickland also completed portions of the building. It is considered a fine example of Georgian architecture.
"From 1775 to 1783 (except for the winter of 1777 - 1778 when Philadelphia was occupied by the British Army) this was the meeting place for the Second Continental Congress. It was in the Assembly Room of this building that George Washington was appointed commander in chief of the Continental Army in 1775 and the Declaration of Independence was adopted on July 4, 1776. In the same room the design of the American flag was agreed upon in 1777, the Articles of Confederation were adopted in 1781, and the U. S. Constitution was drafted in 1787."