North and Central America->United States->Louisiana->New Orleans->French Quarter (neighborhood)
Jackson Square was originally called the Place d'Arms and was used as a military training ground for the French. Following the Battle of New Orleans in 1814, it was redesigned by the Baroness Pontalba to be used as a more formal public square. She added an iron fence, formal gardens, walkways and seating. In the center of the square stands a statue of Andrew Jackson, the hero of New Orleans. Today the square is a popular place for tourists, street performers, and artists.
Keywords: United States, Louisiana, New Orleans, Jackson Square, general views, plazas, urban landscapes, people.