An arts institution in Berlin founded in 1696 by Elector Frederick III of Brandenburg as the Prussian Academy of Arts. It also functions as the arts council for the government. The academic arm of the institution ultimately developed into the Berlin University of the Arts. The council was located in Pariser Platz in a building (1903-1907) designed by Ernst von Ihne; this was heavily damaged in WWII. The council, which had split into east and west branches, was reunified in 1994. In 2005, it returned to Federal control and to the Pariser Platz location in the new building. Some parts of the original building were incorporated. Behnisch & Partner (Gnter Behnisch, Manfred Sabatke) with Werner Durth and project partner Franz Harder are the listed architects. This was the last personally-realized project by Gnter Behnisch, who died in 2010.
Twentieth century (LCSH) Twenty-first century (LCSH)