Liuhe Pagoda, or the Pagoda of Six Harmonies, was first built in 970 during the Northern Song Dynasty by Qian Hongchu, the king of Wuyue. The pagoda was built as a navigational aid along the Qiantang River where lanterns were lit at night to guide ships and boats traveling on the river. The temple name "six harmonies" comes from the six Buddhist ordinances of the harmony of heaven, earth, and the four directions of east, west, south and north. The pagoda has been damaged and rebuilt multiple times. Today the pagoda has thirteen levels on the exterior and seven levels on the interior and stands almost 60 meters tall.
This image was taken by John P. Schooley, FAIA, during the 1982 People-to-People Architecture Delegation to the People's Republic_access of China. The People-to-People Citizen Ambassador Program sponsored the delegation lead by Professor David Glasser of the Department of Architecture, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. This delegation allowed architects and planners from the United States to visit landmarks as well as communities at various scales, and to meet professionals involved in their planning and continued development.
Song Dynasty (960 CE - 1279 CE) Ming Dynasty (1368 CE - 1644 CE) Qing Dynasty (1644 CE - 1912 CE)