Arboretum begun in 1798, Conservatory built by 1921
Longwood Gardens was started by the industrialist Pierre S. du Pont and is located on an estate that he purchased in 1906. It includes 1,050 acres of gardens, woodlands, and meadows. There are 20 outdoor gardens and 20 indoor gardens within 4 acres of heated greenhouses; 11,000 different types of plants; fountains; extensive educational programs; and 800 horticultural and performing arts events each year. The internship program is noteworthy and highly competitive. Events at the gardens include: flower shows, gardening demonstrations, children's programs, concerts, organ and carillon recitals, musical theater, and fireworks displays.
The Palm House contains palms and cycads, which are sometimes referred to as living fossils because of there existence during the time of the dinosaurs. The room contains lush green ground covers and overall feels very tropical throughout the entire year.
Keywords: United States, Pennsylvania, Chester County, conservatory, greenhouse. Submitted by Brian McVeigh.