The Main Library was designed by Wilbur T. Mills in 1903. The 418,800 sq. ft. building was constructed of Vermont marble and granite and was funded by Andrew Carnegie. Constructed in the Roman classic style, a major expansion and renovation was completed in 1991.
800,000 volumes. Special collections include: musical scores, genealogy, local history, maps, historic city directories, books in 35 languages, business directories, and an extensive collection of magazines, newspapers and microfilm.