"The Minneapolis Institute of Arts was established in 1883. The museum building, designed by the firm of McKim, Mead and White, opened its doors in 1915. In 1974 the Japanese architect Kenzo Tange was commissioned to design needed additions to the neoclassical structure. In the 1990s the museum was renovated, the collections reinstalled, and state of the art technology introduced to help visitors and members interpret the works of art. The museum expanded yet again with the addition of the Michael Graves-designed Target wing, opening in June of 2006. The new wing adds 40% more gallery and exhibition space, includes a new Library, Print and Photograph Study Rooms, Friends Community Room, and a 400 seat Reception Hall."
Keywords: United States, Minnesota, Hennipin County, Minneapolis, exhibition structures, exhibition buildings, museum. Submitted by: Robert Wandel, AIA.