The Museum of Contemporary Arts was founded on June 17th 1958 and aimed to serve as a modern gallery. The competition was announced in 1960. The proposal of Ivan Antic and Ivanka Raspopovic was accepted, marking the beginning of the building process which lasted from 1963 to 1965.
The Museum is located in New Belgrade at the confluence of the Danube and the Sava rivers, facing Kalemegdan Park and The Belgrade Tower. The interior of the museum is a continual space with open central stair case without partition walls or corridors. The exterior of the museum consists of different types of exhibition rooms that vary in size. Reference
This image was taken in 1970 by John Schooley, FAIA, during an Urban America tour. Urban America tours allowed architects and planners to visit New Towns and meet professionals involved in their planning and continued development. <
Keywords: Serbia and Montenegro, Belgrade, Yugoslavia, Beograd, exhibition buildings, MSUB, Muzeja Savremene Umetnostiu Beogradu.
Submitted by John Schooley, FAIA.