Nijo Castle (Nijo-jo) was built by Tokugawa Ieyasu as the Kyoto residence for himself and his successors. The building now known as Ninomaru, was completed in 1603 and enlarged by Ieyasu's grandson Iemitsu. It survives in its original form and is famous for its Momoyama architecture, decorated sliding doors and floors that squeak when someone walks on them (a security measure against intruders).
Iemitsu also added the Honmaru including a five storied castle tower to Nijo Castle. However, the original Honmaru structures were destroyed by fires in the 18th century, and the present building was moved there from the Imperial Palace in 1893.